Pflugerville(flu-gervil) is a city in Travis County, Texas with a small portion in Williamson County. The population was 46,936 at the 2010 census. Pflugerville is a suburb of Austin and part of the Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Pflugerville is located14 miles (23 km) northeast of downtown Austin along FM 1825 (Pecan Street) in northern Travis County. Pflugerville is situated 15 miles (24 km) northeast of the Colorado River.
According to the 2010 United States Census Bureau, the city has a total land area of 22.32 square miles. And Pflugerville has 40.39 square miles in the extraterritorial jurisdiction. The city has one body of water – Lake Pflugerville – created in 2005 to serve as a water reservoir and recreation area, and two creeks, Gilleland Creek and Wilbarger Creek. A local school group, Wilbarger Water Watchers, in association with the LCRAmonitor the waters of Wilbarger Creek to ensure it meets the United States Environmental Protection Agency‘s national standard.
The area was initially settled by German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Sr. (1803–67) and members of his family from late 1849 into early 1850. Pfluger had been a wealthy farmer in Germany, but lost all of his property during the Prussian War. He arrived in the country with $1,600 and purchased 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land two miles (3 km) east of Austin from John Liese, a brother-in-law who had immigrated before him. In 1853, Pfluger paid Liese $960 for a 960-acre (3.9 km2) tract of land in an area known as Brushy Knob. There, the family lived in a five-room log cabin and raised corn, wheat, rye, beans, sweet potatoes, and sugar cane. The Pfluger family also owned several slaves, some whom were conversant in German.
Throughout the 1990s, the city of Austin experienced a rapid rise in its population. This was also the case in suburban areas surrounding the city. Pflugerville and communities such as Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Georgetown came to or more than doubled in size by the next census in 2000. Since then, Pflugerville has grown by approximately 20,000, with the total number of residents approaching 40,000 as of 2008. The 2010 Census placed Pflugerville’s population at 46,936, however with annexations since the 2010 census, the city’s own population estimate is estimated to
be 53,752 as of July 2013.
The 2006 NBC television drama Friday Night Lights was filmed in Pflugerville and Austin, Texas. They used Pflugerville High School’s stadium, Kuempel Stadium, to film the football games. Since then American Crime has filmed at the Pflugerville Justice Center as recently as 2014.
Park and Recreation
The City of Pflugerville has more than 15 parks, 30.5 miles of trail, 16 playscapes, 500 acres of parks and 528 acres of open space all within Pflugerville’s city limits. Many of the parks offer a full range of amenities from pavilions, gazebos and playgrounds to pools and picnic areas.
Pfluger Park is along Gilleland Creek and is the site of the city’s annual German festival, the Deutschen Pfest, held the third weekend in May. The park includes the Fallen Warrior Memorial, trails, a grove, playground, volleyball courts, basketball court, picnic areas and large shade trees. Pfluger Park is also used for music in the park events and festivals.
Lake Pflugerville is a 180-acre reservoir built to provide the citizens of Pflugerville with drinking water. The lake is open for fishing, swimming, jogging, canoes, kayaks and wind surfing. Lake Pflugerville Park includes a 3-mile walking/jogging trail, playground, boat launch, pavilion and beach area.
The Northeast Metro Skate/BMX Park opened Tuesday, September 18, 2012. The 349-acre Northeast Metropolitan Park is a multiple-use recreational area with soccer fields, multi-use fields, baseball fields, a cricket field, basketball court, tennis court, and a skate park. Amenities include restrooms, playgrounds, group shelters, picnic tables with grills, concession building for rent, and a water play area. While not located in the city limits but at the north end of Austin, the park does provide additional amenities to the community.
In 2015, the city purchased a 237-acre tract of land for a community park with a new sport complex and nature areas for $4.276 million. It will be home to the future sports complex as approved by the voters in the 2014 General Bond Election.